Disclaimer: The opinions and beliefs expressed in this blog are my personal thoughts and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Off to an interesting start...

8.20.10

I arrived in San Vicente at 7 something in the am, and sat at the market for about an hour because it was too early to call anyone I thought. The past couple of days I had been calling my counterparts, Cleo and Zeneida, to coordinate when I would get into town and how I could get to the house with all of my stuff, but didn't connect with either of them. Eventually I took a motorcycle-taxi thing to Cleo’s office and we still couldn’t get a hold of Zeneida in salinas. Hung out there for a while, cleo called Jennifer (PCV in SV) who came over. We went to lunch across the bay in Bahia with PCV Whitney, had rice and shrimp, yummmm. Talked about projects and what not. Cleo called Jennifer and said that Zeneida’s brother was going to come and pick me up from the office at 5 pm after work. We left Bahia and came back to the office, then went with Jennifer to one of her after school projects to help kids in the neighborhood with their homework and then afterwards they get to play games and stuff. About 5 or 6 showed up, one really did some homework and the rest were hanging out and playing. The building has a lot of donated toys so the kids enjoy going there to play since they don’t have a lot of toys at home.

We came back to the office around 5 and no one was there to pick me up! Zeneida was not answering my calls, so Cleo told me to stay at Jennifer’s for the weekend and we would figure stuff out on Monday, and she had to be in Bahia for another commitment right away. I wasn’t opposed to staying with Jennifer, except that all my stuff was with me and I wanted to get to Salinas to unpack and just get settled. I also didn’t want to make a poor impression on the people that I wasn’t there. Cleo left and said she would call us if she heard from Zeneida’s brother, but supposedly it was difficult to call him because there wasn’t a signal.

Went to Jennifer’s and felt bad about imposing on her weekend, played a pick up game of basketball with the kids in the neighborhood. The kids get really into it and sometimes are pretty hilarious, but it went well and there were a decent amount of them too that were excited to play. We went to a burger place for dinner and had burgers with oreo shakes, soooo good. Then hung out at her house listening to music and looking at pics on my comp, talked about different experiences of hers in her site and how the past year has gone. To be honest, I was glad after a while because I started to get really nervous to go to my site and be "all alone"!


No comments:

Post a Comment