Disclaimer: The opinions and beliefs expressed in this blog are my personal thoughts and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

strategizing

8.25.10

Chalo (Cleo's boss/city worker in San Vicente) called to have a meeting later in the afternoon. He is pretty much the mayor's right-hand man, that's the impression I get anyways. He came to Salinas and we met in the church's hall. He said that the mayor was impressed with me! And he wants to come to Salinas next week to meet with the people, awesome! We kind of talked “strategy”, he wanted to know when I would start the census and I told him that I would talk to Zeneida but for sure we would start next week. We looked through the CAT (Community Assessment Tool) book to get an idea of what questions we would ask, and then talked about going back to visit the homes after the census to do more interviews or the assessment in terms of project ideas and what the people are looking for. I met Alba, another community leader who works with the Catholic Church in Salinas and also with some of the young people (jovenes). We organized that I will join her on Friday morning for a meeting with the parents at the High School, but before I will meet the professors to talk about my work and offer ideas about after school programs or groups if they are interested/needed.

Chalo and I walked around the side streets of Salinas and he introduced me to some more people and we talked about the census so they are aware. It was great to meet them and also spread the word so next week isn’t awkward showing up to people’s houses, but Zeneida will come with me as well so that will help.


No comments:

Post a Comment