Disclaimer: The opinions and beliefs expressed in this blog are my personal thoughts and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ruuuuunnn Forest, ooorrrr not


8.31.10

Today was the first “running” day with Alba and Adriana, Alba's cousin. We woke up early to run before it would get to hot. We walked to the highway, I was wearing shorts and they were wearing pants, maybe should opt for pants from now on. We started running but they didn’t last long, so we walked after a while, then ran again and walked back after we turned around. At least it’s something, I hope I would work up to feeling comfortable/safe running alone in the mornings or something, we’ll see. Afterwards I wanted to hurry up and get to San Vicente but we stopped to talk to a few people of course and then Alba invited us for breakfast at her house, I don’t know why I thought I could work out “fast”. Then Alba drove all of us to SV which was nice and I was stressed about getting a lot done. In the end I did accomplish a lot of my list and it turned out ok.


After dinner I played “bolley” with Maikol (12), Daniel or "Gordo" (6), and Gaston (Mirtha’s brother who is about 22) inside the house. It was fun, actually somewhat of a workout, it's like volleyball. After that they came into my room with Jerry (14, Maikol and Daniel's sister) to hang out. They made me read some stuff from a book in English and also sing a song in English. Then Maikol sang a few songs. They told me that it’s “normal” for boys to be taken to a Chongo (brothel) at the age of 12 or 13 to have their first sexual experience. They asked me if Jon, my boyfriend, goes to brothels and thought it was normal that he would, but when I said no they thought it was a little odd that he doesn't. It was a very random conversation topic, but a big part of the culture that men usually cheat on their wives or girlfriends, but it is expected that the girls are virgins until they get married. The picture is of Gaston (left), Jerry, Maikol and I in my room with my beautiful mosquito net (toldo) behind us!


No comments:

Post a Comment