Disclaimer: The opinions and beliefs expressed in this blog are my personal thoughts and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

THE ARRIVAL

8.23.10

I spent day at Cleo's office and caught up on the internet met Miriam, a community leader in San Vicente and talked with her and Cleo about the CAT Tools= very overwhelming at first to read everything, but it does offer a lot of options and flexibility to make things my own in a sense. CAT Tools is a book that Peace Corps gave us to do an assessment of our communities to see where the needs are and what projects might be appropriate to fulfill the needs. Organized a meeting with the mayor in the morning for tomorrow at 8 and to have Zeneida come too to get his support and input on the situation in Salinas. At 5 pm, Zeneida’s cousin, Eduardo, and his wife Betty, drove me to Salinas, they live in Portovelo which is a small town on the way to Salinas. I finally arrived and met Zeneida’s mother (I’m staying at her mother’s house), her name is Pastora. Mirtha was there as well and when we drove up a few people said that they were excited that I was back and that they have been waiting for me to arrive, so that definitely helped to calm my nerves. The people are so sweet! And the fact that I wasn’t shocked like I was for my site visit also helped that I had been there before and had met some people. I pretty much ate dinner and went to bed after a while. Met Mirtha’s dad, Juan, who reminds me a lot of my uncle Tom back home, he kind of has the same build, look, and body movements I guess. Talked to Zeneida about the meeting and she will come along, we also talked about what had happened over the weekend and it all worked out fine, I don’t think she was mad or anything. I was nervous she was going to think that I didn't want to come to site and stayed in San Vicente to put it off for the weekend. I was definitely anxious to get settled and organized in the house, but it worked out for the best to talk with Eik and have a couple days to calm down and mentally prepare.


No comments:

Post a Comment