Disclaimer: The opinions and beliefs expressed in this blog are my personal thoughts and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

getting settled

8.24.10

Went to the meeting at Municipio de San Vicente (town hall), met Humberto Garcia, the mayor/alcalde. I went with Zeneida and Miriam (community member involved in asking for volunteer). It was a good meeting, just talked about my role and what the town of Salinas needs, and the mayor offered to help us in whatever way possible, he also talked about coming to Salinas to meet the people. We discussed working on getting a census taken of the town and from there interviewing the people to see where we should focus our efforts and such. From there we spent some more time in San Vicente and I met Fabricio, one of the city employees, we talked about soccer and also different after school programs I could put together, in addition to teaching english. Not something I'm crazy about doing (teaching english), but I will do it to get to know the people and the kids. The rest of the day I spent resting and unpacking my stuff and feeling a bit more organized. Also learned some card games that are similar to what we play in the States, like 31 instead of Black Jack, War, etc. I played with my host mom and Mirtha, they are pretty funny, really good people. My host mom is so loving right off the bat, willing to help and kind of the motherly/grandmotherly worry wart.


No comments:

Post a Comment