Disclaimer: The opinions and beliefs expressed in this blog are my personal thoughts and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Te busco, Te robo, Te dejo en el polvo. HASTA LUEGO!


7.9.10


So today is the big soccer day, yay!! I left my house in the dress that I was going to wear for the "Reina" Competition and had some other bags with all my soccer stuff and a change of clothes for after the games. I borrowed a white sweater from Betsy (my madre's daughter) but left it on the bus on accident! Hannah and i ran back to the bus station and checked multiple buses and talked to the drivers, only to figure out that our bus that we arrived on had probably just left, grrrr! I was all flustered and felt really bad for losing Betsy's sweater that I didn't really want to borrow in the first place!


We got to the stadium or center for the day and all the groups/teams had great costumes and barras, or sayings to represent themselves. Our slogan was "Hasta Luego Cocodrilo", like "See ya later alligator" but crocodile instead. Don't hate on it, we like it! And then our song or barra is written above as the title of this post, and it means, "I'll look for you, I'll rob you, and leave you in the dust. See ya later!" Our thoughts in creating it were related to playing soccer, like chasing someone down and stealing the ball from them.


We had the Reina Competition first and sang the National Anthem. Then 6 out of the 13 girls were picked to answer a question in Spanish. I was not chosen, nor did I win or anything, which is fine. I was glad not to have to speak Spanish in front of everyone!


We played 3 games, lost 2, but scored some goals and had a great time. The team from ayora won the tournament, and played their final couple of games in the rain! It was an exciting day and other volunteers had come to watch the tournament and hang out. Afterward a group of us went to a chinese restaurant for dinner which was really good, a nice change from an ecuadorian meal.


Before dinner I had been trying to call my madre to tell her that I wasn't coming home for dinner and would be back around 7 or 8, but no one answered the house phone and she doesn't have a cell phone. When I did get home, my madre was in the street waiting for me with a shawl because she thought i was in a dress all day! I'm pretty sure I told her that we had a soccer tourney but she was all worried and I felt bad she had been waiting outside in the cold--ahhh communication mishaps!


No comments:

Post a Comment